Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Blog #5: On the Rainy River

For this week's blog, I chose to find a poem online that sets a mood for the story. I found this poem on http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/is-man-really-courageous/

I feel that this poem really sets a nice feel for this story because the story is completely based around Tim O'Brien finding the courage to go fight instead of run away from the war. Although he does not like the war, he felt that it would be more courageous to go and fight than to stay and hide from it. My favorite quote in the story that relates to this theme is "I would go to the war. I would kill and maybe die, because I was too embarrassed not to" (O'Brien 59).


Is man really courageous?
by: 
Mohammad Akmal Nazir 




Is man really courageous?
He who says so
Must be lunatic.
Man fears life,
He fears death,
He fears disease,
He fears failure
And sometimes his success also,
He fears the truth,
He fears honesty,
He fears God
But on his terms,
And above all
He fears himself.
So why should he be called
A courageous?


No comments:

Post a Comment