Thursday, December 15, 2011

To sum up my first semester........ Blog #6

I have really enjoyed this semester of English. Some of the things we talked about were review, some things we discussed were interesting, and others were.... not so interesting. Saying this, I've had more of a positive experience so far than a negative ones.

My favorite thing we did this year was probably our independent reading. I'm not much of a reader, but I was fortunate enough to get a really interesting book, which was non-fiction, a main unit we focused on for a while. I also really enjoyed doing blogs! :) To me, there are no right or wrong answers when you right blogs, and they're probably some of the more easier assignments we had to do. I also really enjoyed our education presentations. I did a video with three of my friends. Although it was not very good, we learned how to put together a video and we now know what to make improvements on next time we film.


Another thing I loved about English was my class! I feel like it's a lot more entertaining with a group of kids who like discussing topics thoroughly and who are quite humorous! I loved Poetry Wednesdays, because everyone was involved with uncovering the true meaning of a poem, without "beating a meaning out of it," exactly. I also liked reviewing readings that we had to do as homework. Not only because sometimes Mr. Dunn would catch me off guard with a pop quiz to see if I was reading, but because there were some things that I would catch as I read and other people did. It was interesting to see others' point of views of the book, and their opinions as well.


Now, with every pro, there's a con... or something like that. What I mean to say is, this class did contain some things I wasn't fond of. Like any teenager, I HATED essays. I hated them. I HATE THEM! But it's only because they're time consuming and I always mess up on the same things over and over again when I write. I see a pattern in my writing when I look in my folder, and as a suggestion, maybe as a final or something, we could really dig deep into that frequent mistake and write something based around it. My common error was that I'd lose focus while writing a body paragraph. I would really like to practice pulling all of that work together without getting sidetracked.. Just an idea... Just saying.....


I'm having a difficult time thinking about the dislikes of this semester, because I could complain about essays all day. Still, nothing would change if I did that. Some of the books that we read weren't the most entertaining..... I've read better. But COLUMBINE! I loved that book. It did have a strange layout to it, but it made me think about the things that go on at this school. I didn't like the DED's either. It didn't really help me understand the article any more than just reading it would.


Overall, I love this class. It's my favorite. I learn a lot in this class and I enjoy everyone in it. It's a fun class because I feel like we're very productive without a million worksheets and comparison charts and whatnot. :) Just want to thank everyone for making this semester great!

No comments:

Post a Comment